Waterloo Lines is home to nine regular and reserve units, including;
Formed in 1971, from The Royal Scots Greys (2nd Dragoons) and the 3rd Carabineers, they are Scotland’s senior regiment and only regular cavalry regiment. Both regiments served with distinction and their Battle Honours of Waterloo, Balaklava (Royal Scots Greys) and Nunshigum (3rd Carabineers) are still celebrated by the regiment today.
During the Cold War the regiment was stationed in Germany ready to react to the Russian threat. The regiment deployed from there to the first Gulf war and returned with a reputation for professional excellence and resilience. During the 1990s the regiment served in Bosnia and Kosovo. The regiment has recently served abroad in Iraq (2003, 2005-6, 2008) and Afghanistan (2008, 2011 and 2013-14). After many years based in Germany as an armoured unit equipped with Challenger 2 Main Battle Tanks, they re-roled as Light Cavalry, now equipped with Jackal vehicles and moved to Leuchars Station in summer 2015.
Their new role allows them to be deployed easily and rapidly anywhere in the world, specialising in mounted Reconnaissance and Manoeuvre operations.The Regimental Pipes and Drums are a world leading Pipe Band and recently led the Regiment and the rest of the Station through St Andrews on Remembrance Sunday. They have also played all over the world and had a number one in the UK Charts in 1972 with ‘Amazing Grace’.
2 CS Bn REME’s foundations can be traced back to 5 Light Repair Section on Salisbury plain during 1940. The Unit became 2 Bn REME on 1st October 1993 and is one of seven regular REME Battalions in place to serve the Equipment Support needs of the British Army.
2 Close Support Battalion REME now consists of two Close Support Companies, 7 and 11 and a supporting Echelon with a unit strength of 265. The Battalion moved to Leuchars in Scotland during summer 2015 with the Battalion complete in September 2015.2 CS Bn REME is made up of a collection of engineering trained soldiers covering trades such as Vehicle Mechanics, Metalsmiths and Armourers. The Battalion has seen operational experience in Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan and soldiers from the Bn are currently serving all around the world, providing equipment support to both military training and operations.
The REME’s Motto is ‘Arte Et Marte’ – ‘By Skill and fighting’
The Military Police have their origins as far back as the 13th Century with the Corps being formally established in 1946. Their role is to police and provide support to the force, both at home and on operations. This includes investigations, crime prevention, community engagement, detainee handling, investigating historic allegations of crime, close protection and serious and complex crime. The Company is currently responsible for Scotland and Germany.
The Corps of Engineers was established in 1716, becoming the Corps of Royal Engineers in 1787. Uniquely within the Army, it is the individual soldiers or ‘Sappers’ who carry the‘Royal’ prefix, rather than the Corps itself. The Regiment specialises in constructing, maintaining and upgrading the infrastructure required to support the Army, Navy and RAF on operations.
The Regimental Headquarters and 2 Troop are based in Leuchars with other locations across Scotland and Northern Ireland. In the last year the Regiment has deployed Reservists to Cyprus, the Falklands Islands, USA and Afghanistan on exercises and operations.
Leuchars Airfield consists of Air Traffic Control and a variety of supporting flights. The primary role is to maintain 24/7 operational support to the QRA aircraft based at RAF Lossiemouth. In addition, the ATC and it’s supporting flights provide Air Traffic services to any aircraft operating within 40 miles of Leuchars. Air Traffic Control supports the Tutors from ESUAS along with Dundee Airport. Leuchars has the capability to host a variety of different military aircraft exercises; the latest being a Tucano detachment from RAF Linton-on-Ouse.
NO.612 (County of Aberdeen) squadron, RAF Reserve was originally formed at Dyce on 1st June 1937 as an Army Co-operation unit of the Auxiliary Air Force, equipped with Avro Tutors. It received the honour of re-numbering as No.612 (County of Aberdeen) Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force in 1999.
The Squadron continues to go from strength to strength under the Future Reserves 2020, striving to grow to an establishment of 131 personnel. The Squadron’s current role is an ASU 15 with intensive care 2 bed facility that also has a Primary Healthcare module.
The East of Scotland Universities Air Squadron (ESUAS) was formed on 1st September 2003 and recruits squadron members from 9 universities between Edinburgh and Aberdeen. The aim of ESUAS is to provide students with an exciting and rewarding insight into what a career in the Royal Air Force could entail.
The students are encouraged to participate in a wide range of activities that include; Adventure Training, Sports, Personal Development and Leadership Training, Weapons Handling, Charity and Engagement activities and social events.
The Air Cadet Organisation is a MoD sponsored youth organisation for males and females aged between 12 and 19 with a primary interest in aviation. Leuchars Station houses the Air Cadet Regional Headquarters, a Regional Activities Centre, South East Scotland Wing Headquarters and No.2345 (Leuchars) Squadron. Activities on the Station include evening and weekend training courses or flying with the Air Experience Flight on the East of Scotland Universities Air Squadron.